THE Federated Hospitality Association of Southern Africa has put together an in-depth document that covers many areas that may not be applicable to smaller accommodation establishments. However, it’s always advised that owners go through the document and educate themselves.
You can download a copy of the FEDHASA Hospitality Measures here.
We have read through the document and extracted what we believe to be information relevant to members.
GHASA Recommended Safety Measures – COVID-19
- Register for Guests – download here
- Register for Staff – download here
- Register for cleaning – download here
- Signage – found on pages 48-53 of the FEHASA document
Training of Staff
- What is COVID-19? (An infectious virus which can be spread directly or indirectly from one person to another by coughing and/or sneezing. Upper respiratory infection of the nose/throat/airways and lungs that makes it hard to breath)
- Safety of PPE and the importance of hand washing and sanitization.
- How can employees protect themselves against COVID-19? (By following the rules of sanitization and PPE)
- Training on laundry protocols (All hands washed before entering the laundry. All surfaces to be disinfected. Washing machines and doors and switches to be sanitized. Wash cycles set to highest possible temperature. Linen baskets to be disinfected. Soiled linen taken from basket directly to machine, to prevent contamination. The laundry is a PPE ONLY area and only ONE person is allowed in at a time.)
Training material to be made available for staff.
PPE to be worn at all times BY ALL STAFF
Encourage social distancing and no human contact.
Arrival of Staff at Premises
Social distancing demarcation at staff entrance.
When staff members report for duty, their temperature needs to be recorded. Any staff member who is not well must to be sent home.
Staff must have their clothes, handbags and shoes sanitized.
PPE to be donned before entry to guest house.
Stagger the arrival and departure times of staff.
Arrival of Guests
GUESTS TO BE HANDED MASKS, WHICH MUST BE WORN
Make it clear to guests that everyone will do everything possible to ensure the wellbeing of all persons on the property and as such all safety protocols must be followed. Guests need to fill in the questionnaire, adhere to social distancing rules, allow their luggage to be sanitized and to have their temperatures taken. Hands to be sanitized frequently.
NO CASH IS TO BE TAKEN AND THE CREDIT CARD MACHINE TO BE SANITZED IN FRONT OF THE GUEST.
ALL BARS CLOSED AND NO FOOD TO BE SERVED.
A cleaning register must be kept. It should note the date, time, cleaner and cleaning protocol.
All staff to wear PPE and it is suggested that non-essential items are removed from the room (decorative pillows, extra blankets and towels etc). This will allow for a room to be cleared easily and reduce the risk of contamination.
No staff member may enter the room if the guest is still present.
Soiled linen to be removed with care, gloves and masks to be worn at all times. All linen/towels to be removed, even if they have not been used.
Re-enforce the importance of sanitizing touch points – door handles, light switches, remote controls etc
Bathrooms to be cleaned and sanitized before and after the guest leave.